Spreadsheet Assistant Improvements
The latest release of the Spreadsheet Assistant is 12.5. It is Excel 2007-2019 and Office 365 compatible.
- Nov 18, 2018
- Released Excel 2019 compatible version
- Product review and improvements
- July 27, 2017
- Added a CountWord feature that
handles text copied from the Internet. Such text often contains "html
spaces" which prevent formula approaches from counting the words
- Fixed a bug in the Find Next Entry Down feature
the Classic File SaveAs To File Assistants. This can be added to the
Quick Access Toolbar (QAT) and is a much faster way to save a new
- Feb 1, 2017 - Added a feature under Assistants, Edit Assistants to replace accented letters with keyboard letters
- Jan 30, 2017 - Added new features to the compare range feature found under Assistants, Data Assistants
- Jan 3, 2017 - Added a new feature to find the first cell beginning
with the text that is entered. This feature is found on the
Assistant's tab under Conditional Select.
- Nov 16, 2016 - Minor improvements and a fix to the select every N
rows. An old style dialog box no longer function in 2019. (we
thought had replaced all such, but missed this one)
- June 29, 2016
- Added the Find a Command feature to the bottom right corner of the Assistants Tab for fast access
- Improved the Find a Command feature to do fuzzy search. You can type in key words in any order for a search
the feature location of a found command to the search results and also
to the list of all commands found on the All Commands list
- June 21, 2016 - Further improved the Combined Cells into One feature
- June 7, 2016
- Make the dialogs on saving or closing multiple files at one time much larger, which makes it easier to select files
- Improved the Combine Cells into One feature found under Assistants, Edit Assistants.
- Apr 20, 2016 - Greatly improved the Turn Word Wrap on and
Improve Fit feature. One can not specify how much blank space to
show below rows. Showing extra blank space makes it easier to
read text in separate cells.
- Mar 1, 2016 - Improved the
count characters feature to include an option to exclude spaces and
html like spaces from the count of characters. This feature is found on
the Assistant's tab, Other Assistants, Count Characters in a
Selection. It identifies the longest and shortest text in a
- Nov 10, 2015
- Fixed the Quick Access Menu to work in Excel 2016.
a problem with the feature that converts formulas to text and back
again. If the cell is formatted with a custom format that adds
leading spaces, the conversion back
- Oct 25, 2015
- Updated the latest release (5) for a bug when running in Excel 64 bit
- Advised user when a network location is not available versus having an error box appear.
- Sept 22, 2015 - Released Excel 2016 compatible version
- It is also backward compatible with Excel 2007-2013.
4, 2015 - Modified how one changes the pre-defined format hot buttons
to make it clearer how to modify and to eliminate the modification to a
new format setting not being saved ins some cases
- July 30, 2015
- Added a feature that draws "X" outlines in cells. It is found under Assistants tab, Format Assistants, Insert X Lines
- Added a feature that reverses a list. It is found under Assistants tab, Data Assistants, Flip (reverse rows) in a Range
- Improved the flip and compress a range feature
- Improved the insert a calendar feature and added more features to it
- Fix a problem with setting the custom formats found under Assistants, Format Assistants that occurred for some users
- June 23, 2015
a new feature "Insert Circled Numbers or Letters" which should be very
useful in creating presentations in Excel. It it found under the
Assistants Tab, Insert Assistants
- Modified the Convert
Text Numbers to Numbers feature (Under Assistants Tab, Formula
Assistants) to remove space like characters found in front of or behind
numbers copied from web pages.
- May 7, 2015 - Added an insert calendar feature. User can specify the start and stop months and several other options.
10, 2015 - Fixed Edit Assistants, Indent or Truncate Text feature - a
previous change had caused one of the options not to be recognized as
- Apr 6, 2015
- Modified the Quick Number formats to use the default images and descriptions and let the user change the format setting
- Add thousand separator to the dollars quick formats
- Improved the options on the Favorite Files and Folder dialog
- Feb 3, 2015
the select sheets feature (found by right clicking on a sheet tab) so
that holding down the Shift key does an extended selection.
the Favorite Bookmarks to save changes in the list if an entry is moved
up or down. A recent change had disabled the save code.
- Added a delete blank columns feature
- Jan 25, 2015
a remove un-needed styles feature. Sometimes files can build up
thousands of un-needed styles as a result of copying and pasting.
This feature can remove them in less than a minute. It is found on the
Assistant Tab under Format Assistants
- Added a feature
to rename files from a list or to copy and rename from a list. We
recently used to copy and rename 200 files and it only took
seconds! It is found on the Assistants tab under File Assistants.
- Jan 12, 2015
- Added a number of new features to Assistants Tab, Edit Assistants:
Formats From - If you have already selected a range and realize you
want to format all those cells like another cell, this feature makes it
really easy to do!
- Search and Replace Across Sheets - Search all or a select group of sheets.
- Change To/From Soft Returns - Changes commas or semi-colons to soft returns and back.
- Added a number of new features to Assistants Tab, Data Assistants:
- Compress Blank Cells Row by Row - removes blank cells
- Flip and Compress Cells Row by Row - removes blank cells and flips the order.
- Sort Cells Row by Row
- Sort Cell Entries (within cell sort)
- Dec 8, 2014 - Further improvements to the quick access menu:
- Added an option to minimize when a command is run
- Added a double click run option
- Fixed a dialog sizing problem
- Dec 7, 2014
the quick access menu's dialog to be modeless all the time (this means
you can work in Excel when it is visible) and to minimize but stay
visible when the "X" close button is clicked. Clicking a second time
fully closes. Or clicking on the dialog will redisplay
- Further modified the quick access menu to allow the dialog to sized to any size the user wants
- Nov 10, 2014
a new feature that lets you brightly color your sheet tabs! The
default colors that Excel provides, are well to say it politely,
dull. So we decided to brighten things up! To color tabs
using this new feature, select Assistants, Sheet Assistants, and the
menu item "Brightly Color Selected Sheet Tabs". Or, if you have Excel
2010 or 2013, right click on a sheet tab and select.
- Fixed a problem with the Fill Blanks with Entry Above or Below feature if the column is formatted as text.
- Oct 23, 2014
added a new feature under the View and Locate dropdown menu: A
menu item that takes one to the first worksheet in workbook. We keep
indexes of our workbooks as the first worksheet (built by Assistants,
Sheet Assistants, Index sheets) and this new feature is just a nice one
to have on the quick access toolbar.
- Fixed an issue with some dialogs on multi-monitor PCs not being centered.
- Aug 26, 2014 - Fixed a problem with selecting cells with entries as a result of 11.34 changes
- Aug 12, 2014
- Numerous minor improvements, primarily to the conditional select assistants.
- Modified the fill down or fill up feature to be far faster
- Modified the convert text numbers to numbers feature to handle extremely large worksheets
30, 2014 - Fixed a problem with the convert text numbers to number
feature. A change to improve the speed of the trim function caused this
feature no longer to work correctly.
- July 27, 2014
an option to toggle how new formulas referring to cells in a pivot
table. The option toggles from =GetPivotData(...) to and from the
classic Excel formula =cell reference
- Modified the
description on insert or delete column assistant features to include
the word "cell" as the options allow just cell deletes or inserts.
17, 2014 - Fixed a problem with the 64 bit version of the Assistant
when using Conditional Select or deleting the active file. Features
would not work in 64 bit Excel until the code was modified. No changes
were needed in the 32 bit version
- July 6, 2014 -An
accidental typo while building the release version caused the changes
to the compare two ranges not to work. Fixed with 11.30.
- July 1, 2014
- Improved the compare two ranges features found under Assistants Tab, Data Assistants
the find and select duplicates feature on two menus: The Conditional
Select Assistants menu and the Data Assistants menu to make them easier
to find as both locations are logical places for these features.
- June 27, 2014
- Added Spreadsheet Assistant menu items to the context menu for cells in a table
- Modified the quick text filter feature to work in tables
24, 2014 - Fixed an Excel bug with dialogs not always appearing in the
center of the Excel window if the user has two or more monitors.
16, 2014 - Modified the delete the active file to use an alternate
delete approach as the current approach which used to delete to the
recycle bin no longer does so. The new approach solves this problem. As
always, when deleting a file, always have a backup as deleting a file
to the recycle bin is not always100% perfect.
- June 11,
2014 - Modified the CombineText function to allow selection of up to 5
different cells or cell ranges. If you used the prior version, please
edit the function to the new format =CombineText("separator",range 1, range2, ..., range 5). Only one range needs to be supplied.
- June 2, 2014
two new functions: AsciiCodes and CombineText. The first returns the
ascii codes of a cell. The other combines multiple text cells entries
into one entry.
- Removed a limit of the number of times
a selection can be duplicated (Assistants tab, Data Assistants,
Duplicate a range N times)
- Added a feature to Assistants Tab, Edit Assistants, Indent or Truncate Text to truncation to a maximum cell length
to use IfError() function to hide errors if using Excel 2007-2013. This
makes for simpler formulas. Found under Assistants Tab, Formula
Assistants, Modify Formulas to Hide Error Values.
- May 8, 2014
back the set print titles and set print area menu items. These
had been dropped in our conversion to tabs as we thought Excel had
acceptable features. Several users (and us!) preferred out
approach, so they were added back.
- Fixed a typo on the command to find duplicates in a block of cells. The typo prevent the command from running
- May 5, 2014
- Added an extract colored cells - Colored cells can be extracted from a range or from selected sheets
- Added a find and select duplicates in a block of cells
- Improved the dialog on the password generator and excluded letters like i, l, O that can be confused with numbers
- Apr 30, 2014
- Modified the favorite bookmarks feature to have an option to open folders in Windows Explorer
- Added an insert a date from a calendar feature
- Modified to fix a problem in the Chinese version of Excel
- Apr 4, 2014
- Added a new feature that combines multiple cells into one cell
- Modified the add zeros to numbers to also add zeros to entries like "1 abc"
- Relocates a number of row and column features from the Edit Assistants menu to the Row/Col Assistants menu
- Moved the add zeros to number feature to the Edit Assistants menu
- Mar 30, 2014
- Improved the speed on changing word case on large lists
- Modified the quick text filter feature to suggest the title row
- Mar 27, 2014
- Modified the edit the recent file list feature to handle files opened direct from a web page
- Misc minor modifications
- Mar 17
Mar 16, 2014 - Added new features for inserting and deleting cells
- Modified the hide/unhide sheets feature to allow extended select (click first sheet, hold shift, click last sheet)
- Modified set multiple sheets to the same view and cell to ignore hidden sheets if set all sheets selected.
14, 2014 - Added a new feature to set row heights on selected cells.
Very useful if pasting data from the internet which changes row heights
to way to high.
- Mar 13, 2014 - Improved the rename and move feature
- Mar 5, 2014
- Improved the copy columns widths to run far faster
- Fixed an issue with Excel not doing paste just formulas on PCs running memory intensive tasks in other apps
- Fixed a problem with an extra blank workbook opening on some 2007 PCs when files double clicked to open both the file and Excel
- Mar 3, 2014
- Improved the backup files options
- Improved the list files option
- Improved arrangement on the File Assistants dropdown
- Feb 25, 2014
- Made the select down until value changes a one click feature
- Added status bar messages when changing text case or deleting blank row
- Added an import and export feature to favorite files and folders
- Feb 8, 2014 - Minor tweak to the quick data filter feature to add a remove filtering option
- Feb 3, 2014 - Fixed a reference to one of the support files used by 64 bit versions of the Assistant
- Jan 28, 2014 - made the chg window dialog automatically modeless
- Jan 27, 2014
- Modified to fix a problem displaying dialogs in some non-English versions of Excel
- Fixed the any math action feature that would not work in some non-English versions of Excel
- Jan 20, 2014 - Added Open file button to the backup key files feature
- Jan 16, 2014
- Improved the quick text filter feature so it has a do not contains option
- Added a remove, replace characters feature that removes all but numbers, soft returns, or non-keyboard characters
- Dec 16, 2013 - Released version 11 of the Spreadsheet Assistant - Free to customers who have version 10!
- Includes the Custom Tab Creator for free!
- Adds over 25 new features:
- Backup key files (and maintain list)
- Edit the recent file list
- List files in folders and subfolders
- Create folders from a list
- Toggle file windows in task bar
- Convert links and e-mail addresses to hyperlinks
- De-select cells in a range
- Return print page number containing active cell
- Subscript numbers in chemical equations
- Quick worksheet lister
- Quick workbook sheet information
- Re-open file without saving
- Copy values to clipboard
- Sort by strikethrough
- Add or remove leading zeros
- One click removal of conditional formatting
- Select shapes on a worksheet
- Quick date and time insert buttons
- Quick contains text data filter
- Alternate row or column color using conditional formatting
- Convert formulas to-from text
- Generate passwords
- Remove data validation
- Split long data columns into multiple short columns
- Dec 4, 2013 - Added a feature to create hyperlinks from cell text entries
- Oct 7, 2013
- Added a count sheets feature
- Added a delete hidden rows feature
- Improved the context menus
- Several other minor enhancements
- August 17, 2013
the feature for toggle read only for workbooks. Some
installations of Excel were not recognizing built in constants, so the
actual numeric value had to be used in the code. Only a few users were
- Fixed a problem on the classic menus on
changing letter case. A change with the new ribbon tab version
resulted in this feature on working on the classic add-in tab, but
working on the ribbon tab.
- Improved the duplicate sheets feature to add more options and destinations.
- July 19, 2013
- Added a feature to duplicate a range N times
- Modified the quick number feature to give the option to duplicate each number N times
the BackGroundColor and FontColor functions to return color names
instead of color numbers. Numbers can still be returned by using
True for the second argument (optional; default is false and returns
- May 18, 2013
a classic print preview menu item to the Print Assistants menu. This
button can now be easily added to the quick access toolbar or the quick
- Fix coloring option on comparing two lists. Update for 2013 had accidentally removed.
- March 30, 2013
Added back "Return file location and size" to the File Assistants menu.
It had been dropped by accident with the conversion to a Ribbon tab. It
was still available from the classic menus.
- Improved the menu item arrangement on the context menu.
fix for a few users. The fix avoids the user from having to
repair Office. Affected users were getting a compile error due to a
problem with the installation of Office.
- Changed option that installs as an add-in to eliminate an incorrect message.
- March 7, 2013 - Release 10.0 - Excel 2013 compatible version with ribbon menu for ease if use. Available all the time with just a click.
29, 2012 - Modified the feature "Spreadsheet Assistant Toolbars" found
under the Assistant menus to make keep the Assistant's toolbars hidden
until un-hidden in a future Excel session. Also, excluded add-in
toolbars from the list of toolbars that can be customized to prevent
accidentally modification or deletion.
- July 27, 2012 -
Fixed a problem in Excel 2010 - 64 bit version where the 32 bit version
of the favorite bookmark feature was being called, resulting in the
feature not working.
- February 9, 2012 - Fixed a problem
where Excel changed windows when the user had multiple workbook windows
open when running some features
- January 12, 2012 - Refined a fix for a few 2010 users experiencing a problem with an Office update
- December 19, 2011 - Modified how menu additions are added to Excel
- September 19, 2011 - Fixed a problem in adding text to the left in modify cell entries feature
- August 24, 2011
- Changed code to handle a problem with corruption that can happen to some workbooks
- Fixed a spelling error
- June 30, 2011 - Modified to handle a problem with switching drives when using Favorite Bookmarks.
8, 2011 - Modified to caution user not to enter an error value for a
numeric conditional select search, and to advise how to correctly
search for error values.
- March 7, 2011
- Modified the copy print settings feature to copy the 2007/10 align footers with page margin settings
- Modified the copy print settings feature to also copy settings to chart sheets
- Modified the index sheets feature to have an option to index hidden sheets.
- February 9, 2011 - Modified the feature that modifies custom toolbars to display the macro assigned to a button
- December 13, 2010 - Fixed a problem calling a file needed for custom toolbar modifications
6, 2010 - Modified the conditional select using an IF test. Numeric
value tests were not being allowed after the last change
- Nov 11, 2010 - minor menu changes
- Sept 30, 2010
- Modified the conditional select using an IF test to select numeric values formatted as numbers
- Improved the compare two ranges features
30, 2010 - Modified select all the way down and all the way across to
work on protected sheets, and to select to the last row or column with
a cell entry. Previously, they would select based on the range
that Excel reported as "used"
- Aug 20, 2010 - Fixed a problem with select down and across not wanting to select if there are scattered entries on a worksheet
- Aug 17, 2010
Aug 12, 2010
- Modified how conditional select works when selecting blank cells
- Modified all conditional select features to check to see if the worksheet is protected
- Modified fill all the way down and all the way across to not clear the undo buffer
- Modified to not reset the Assistant's toolbar on installation into 2010
- June 1, 2010 - Release 9.0
- Excel 2010 compatible version
- Feb 2, 2010 - Modified the copy print settings feature to
allow selection of target worksheets in any open workbook and to make
it easier to use.
- Jan 26, 2010 - Modified the backup
active file to automatically apply the current file type. Also
fixed a problem for some users who were getting an error message due to
a bug in their installation of Microsoft Office.
- Jan 6,
2010 - Modified the feature to freeze the scroll area to have options
to allow the user to specify header rows and columns to stay visible
when the scroll area is frozen.
- Nov 17, 2009
- Modified the change case feature to remember the last selected option for ease of re-use
- Fixed a problem with relocation features working that appeared when the code was reorganized
2, 2009 - One of the modifications made on August 26th impacted new
users, with the toolbars not appearing. This release solves this
problem. An email has been sent to all customers during this
period. Users who upgraded during this period should not be
- August 26, 2009
the create sheets from a list of names in cells to use the actual text
of the cell versus the cell value. This solves a problem if the
cell values were date entries.
- Minor technical modifications to remove some un-needed code.
conflict with the the Sheet Navigator when Assistants, Sheet
Assistants, Rename Sheets was selected. The Sheet Navigator, if
loaded, would have its feature called versus the Spreadsheet
- Aug 18, 2009 -
Modified the dialog that display toolbar reset options to not loop when
closed via clicking the dialog's X button
- Aug 17, 2009 - Modified how help topics are called.
24, 2009 - Fixed a problem with the "Find an Assistant" option when one
displays the dialog to look for a feature in the feature list dialog.
- June 24, 2009 - Fixed a problem with the 'Print multiple selections' feature in Excel 2007.
12, 2009 - Fixed a problem with the 'All the Assistants' menu not
appearing and the Duplicate Sheets feature not canceling if cancel
selected. The problems were introduced as a result of re-coding done
- June 4, 2009 - Modified the duplicate finding
feature to re-use colors when all background colors have been
used. Also added messages advising if the colors have been
- Apr 25, 2008 - Fixed a problem with two features that did not work after the speed and memory improvements were released.
- Apr 24, 2008 - Modified internal structure to improve loading speed and reduce memory usage.
2, 2009 - Added an option to reset the menu additions for users who
have the menus additions removed by other companies' add-ins. To
use, assign the feature "Restore Spreadsheet Assistant toolbars and
menu additions" to a custom button for use when needed.
- Jan 17, 2009
- Modified the create image file from a range to work in Excel 2007
the next sheet, previous sheet buttons to work if a worksheet is
protected. A bug in Excel prevented them from working before.
- Modified the Contains( ) function to work with the wildcard characters "*" and "?"
- Nov 12, 2008 - Modified the copy column widths feature so that the selected column widths can be copied to selected sheets.
- July 8, 2008 - Modified one of the toolbars to remove an un-needed button.
12, 2008 - Modified the feature that creates hyperlinks to selected
sheets and back to an index sheet to use user entered text for the
hyperlink back to the index sheet.
- June 3, 2008 -
Modified to use an alternate input dialog when getting a range to
extract from multiple sheets. Some users with partially corrupt
worksheets could not use the default input dialog
- May 23,
2008 - Updated the digital signature and minor code modifications
needed for some users after doing an service pack (SP) upgrade from
- Apr 14, 2008 - Added a custom toolbar manager
feature as this feature was dropped in Excel 2007. One can now
add Spreadsheet Assistant commands to any custom toolbar. One can
also re-arrange, rename, and delete both custom toolbars and buttons.
7, 2008 - Modified the select and fill down features to do cell
selection based on entries to the right in case there is no basis on
the cells to the left to do a selection.
- Feb 5, 2008 -
Modified the feature to edit the format menu items under the Format
menu to allow Excel 2007 users to change the format settings.
3, 2007 - Digitally signed our installation exe and add-in using a
software code signing certificate from Thawte to add another level of
security and confidence in our products. It allows users to
maintain macro security on the high security setting in Excel and still
run our add-ins.
- June 21, 2007 - Modified the Favorites Bookmark feature to be easier to use
- April 27, 2007 - Modified the expand pivot table range feature to be easier to use
- April 25, 2007 - Added the ability to use any image as a button face for a Spreadsheet Assistant feature assigned to a button
- March 29, 2007 - Several minor fixes for several features for Excel 2007
- March 23, 2007 - Updated the documentation for various changes made for Excel 2007
- March 21, 2007 - Version 8 released which is compatible with Excel 2007 and backward compatible to Excel 2003.
- Minor change to the file rename and move feature
- Minor change for French version of Excel pivot tables
- Minor changes to improve startup
- Minor dialog and menu improvements
- Added a Hide/Show formula bar feature to the View menu
- Fixed a problem with exporting reports and merged cells.
- Improved detection of error cells when doing conditional select of error cells.
- Modified select to the right feature to work even if blank rows above selection
- Modified select blank features to select blanks even if Excel's normal limits are exceeded.
- Modified add-in un-install to remove menu items left in some situations
the menus so that they do not disappear when one stops the Excel
closing process (by clicking cancel when prompted to close a
file). The modification also speeds up loading of the Spreadsheet
- Fix the rename the active file feature - it had been disabled when changes made to another feature.
the set the default directory feature to suggest the active directory
and the active workbook's directory in addition to retaining the
feature of selecting any directory.
- Improved the Favorite Bookmarks and Favorite Directories features.
- Modified delete blank rows to handle more than 32
- Modified the blank duplicate entries to suggest an alternate approach when more than 10
000 cells are selected. This alternative approach
which can handle extremely large number of cells does not have undo capability.
- Modified the export reports from selected sheets feature to delete any hidden rows and columns on the reports.
- Modified code (not features) of several features to make them run faster