What to do if add-in tabs or buttons do not appear
After an install, new tabs should automatically
appear in Excel. Depending on your purchase you will see one or all of
the following tabs in Excel 2007-2016: Assistants, Charts, Data
Add-ins, Time Savers and Specialty. If you installed the Business
Analysis Collection or the Risk Analysis Collection then you would see
tabs named Business or Risk.
Sometimes the tabs and tool bars do not
appear after an installation or the tabs or tool bars have disappeared
after many months or years of use. Sometimes, a crash of Excel causes. Sometimes Microsoft updates, IS updates, or third
party installs (or de-installs) may cause the disappearance. All
are easy to solve.To make the tabs appear
you do not see the "Add-Ins folder (not the default addins folder) or
Add-in Mgr 2007-2013.xlam, this means you are not running the install
EXE as Admin or for some reason (paranoid IS Dept?) installs to the
normal install folder are blocked. To solve, do the following:
- Open Excel and do the following:
- Excel 2010-2016:
- Click the green File ribbon tab, Options, Add-ins.
- Then, in the right side panel click the GO button beside "Manage Excel Add-ins"
- Excel 2007:
- Click the round Office button, Excel Options, Add-ins.
- Then, in the right side panel click the GO button beside "Manage Excel Add-in
- All: If you see Add-in Mgr 2007-2013 checked
- uncheck it
- close the dialog by the OK button
- close Excel (must do!)
- Then repeat the above steps to display the dialog
- All: A small dialog titled "Add-ins" will appear. Click the BROWSE button on this box
- Go up to the Roaming folder by clicking on in the folder path box and remove "Microsoft\add-ins" and pressing Enter
- Select the Folder named "Add-ins" under the Roaming folder*
- Select ONLY the file named "Add-in Mgr 2007-2013.xlam"*
- Click OKs to finish the install. If told you are replacing an existing entry, agree to the replacment.
- In your Documents folder, create a folder called My Software
- Close Excel and re-run the install and specify this folder instead. It will create a sub folder named "Add-ins"
- Open Excel and if the Add-ins tabs do not appear, do File, Options, Add-ins, GO
- In the small dialog that appears, click on the Browse button
- Navigate to My Documents\My Software\Add-ins and select just Add-in Mgr 2007-2013.xlam
- Click OKs to finish the install. If told you are replacing an existing entry, agree to the replacment