Chess Ranking Assistant Improvements
The latest release of the Chess Ranking Assistant is 3.3. It is Excel 2007-2019 and Office 365 compatible.
To upgrade to the latest version, download the latest install. It is a free add-in.
- Oct 8, 2018
- Added an option to show the players previous meeting's rank
- Added the player's previous meeting's rating
- Minor improvements to several features
- Sept 1, 2018
- Changed to show Wins, Losses, and Draws versus treating draws as 1/2 win and 1/2 loss in the win/loss column
- Fixed a problem with What If Results if a player is excluded
- Added change since three months ago column
- Fixed add matches to show top of sheet as matches are added
name input to separate first and last name. Users can edit names
to new format using the edit names feature. Do not do manually!!!
- Improved working on setting the default workbook
- Fixed a problem with crashes that occured due to an image on the output.
- Mar 22, 2017 - Removed addition use of pictures in the output of
the Chess Ranking Assistant as some Excel users are having trouble with
- Mar 20, 2017 - Added an option to bypass the creation of pictures
for player names. Pictures are useful if one is exporting the results
to the internet and one wants to have the won loss page have narrow
- Feb 28, 2016 - An infrequent occurring bug in
Excel (not our code) would result in a message that a picture could not
be copied or pasted. We have made a change that should solve. If
any users get this problem and are running release 3.08 (or higher),
let us know. We will then shift to an alternate solution.
- Nov 20, 2015 - Fixed a problem with a sheet that was set in a protected mode.
- Nov 10, 2015 - Fixed a problem where comments entered on the new player form were not added to the workbook.
- Nov 2, 2015
- Fixed a problem with the attendance dialog dropping selections if a new person added from the option on the dialog
- Fix a crash that was happening if an excluded player was the black player.
- Oct 18, 2015 - Improved the add attendance feature to automatically select entries based on match date.
- Sept 30, 2015 - Fixed a problem with old results being cleared when unused blank rows detected.
- Sept 26, 2015 - Added an automatic prompt to backup the chess workbook after an update is done
- Sept 22, 2015 - Released Excel 2016 compatible version
- It is also backward compatible with Excel 2007-2013.
- August 31, 2015 - Many, many numerous improvements
- August 19, 2015
- Added option to exclude a player from all output reports. This is useful if a player is inactive, has moved,....
name approach to first name - last name. Far easier to match up players
in the excel file to what they right on a match result sheet
- Added an option to record other members who attended a meeting but didn't play or who don't play ladder matches
- Numerous fixes and improvements!
- June 21, 2015
- Improved install
- Fixed the calculation of change in ranking if a player has played a game during the week since the last meeting
- Improved the export of the ladder - insures one is on the first page when the export is done
- Several other small changes
- June 12, 2015
- Fixed a error in the calculation of the change in ranking from the previous meeting
the screen that suggests how many days one should use before making a
player inactive. The new screen suggests 28 days which represents
- Several minor improvements
- Mar 23, 2015
- Added an option to show only
active players on the ladder results sheets (wins & losses matrix,
ratings by player, ratings by rank). Ratings as always are
calculated using all players and all matches.
- Improved sheet appearance
- Added a new sheet, day last played so you can spot the inactive players
- Change the wins & losses matrix sheet (the first results sheet) to have a column titled "change at last meeting".
- Added a link to www.wholesalechess.com on the output. This is to support our local club.
- Mar 16, 2015
- Modified individual player sheets to have their latest match on top
- Improved formatting on the individual player sheets
- Mar 15, 2015
- Added an option to create a junior ladder from one's main chess ranking workbook
- Fixed to handle names containing single quotes
- Added blue lines every five lines to the win & losses worksheet to improve readability
- Mar 5, 2015 - Modified the time check to handle regional differences in time formatting.
- Mar 4, 2015 - Modified to retain date of next match if new player added from the add match dialog
- Feb 23, 2015
- Asked the user to specify the
completion time of the first match on its own screen versus having it
set when the first match is entered
- Added user control over the incrementing of match times
- Added an option to filter the player list on the comments column
- Minor dialog improvements
- Better handled trying to run the features when there is no workbook open
- Feb 22, 2015
- Fixed a problem with What If's if a player's name has multiple commas, like Doe, John, Jr
- Added player lookup on the add match form
- Added a confirmation dialog after a match is added with options to clear or flip the entries
- Added a template recording form for recording matches. This sheet will be added when you do an update all
- Added hyperlinks on a number of sheets to the players' sheets
- Improved the sheet organization after an update all
a link to the add player dialog to the USCF rating lookup page. This
makes it easier to get a player's current rating when adding a player
- lots of minor updates!
- Feb 8, 2015
- We made the Chess Ranking
Assistant even easier to use! We eliminated the need for a
ranking accuracy factor by player on the part of the user and shifted
to a table of factors. The USCF also uses a table of
factors. Ours are 2X theirs as we wanted more volatility on the
part of results, thus rewarding a player more for a victory. Old chess
ranking workbooks will still work and can still use the individual
ranking accuracy factor if they want.
- Numerous other improvements, primarily in appearance!
- Colored coded wins and losses on win/loss matrix
- Added find buttons on the add player to help search the list before adding a player
- Feb 6, 2015
- Modified page setups on the pages to repeat headers when individual pages printed (except for the win/loss matrix sheet)
- Colored blocks on the Win/Loss matrix sheet if there is an entry
names input on players to allow one to type in a first name and last
name and the entry will be entered as "last name, first name".
fit to one page on the Win/Loss Matrix. We have found that it is
best to print at 125 or higher print scaling and post on a poster board
for all to easily see
- Feb 3, 2015 - Fixed a bug that prevented matches from being
entered on a new chess ranking workbook as a result of a change a few
- Feb 1, 2015
- Sorted the matches after doing an update all by date descending.
- Added a new sheet "Games Played".
- Added the player's rank to the add match form when entering a match - just for information
- Added players rank (1, 2, 3,....) to Rankings by Rank and Rankings by Player sheets
- Jan 31, 2015 - Fixed a problem with correcting the capitalization
of a player's name via the edit feature. Changes in case were
- Jan 28, 2015
- Added menu items to set and open one's default chess ranking workbook
- Re-arranged the buttons in a better order
- Minor dialog changes
- Jan 12, 2015
- Improved dialogs
- Split the Add/Edit Player list into into two buttons
- Added a filter matches to see just matches for a particular player
- Jan 5, 2015
- Better default backup file name!
- Added a way to specify the last played on or after date and made optional
- Insured that matches and player list sheets do not have hidden rows before updating
- Dec 30, 2014
- Added a comment field for commenting on matches
- Added a backup menu button to the Chess tab
- Dec 26, 2014
- Renamed the sheet "Matrix" to "Wins and Losses"
- Added two new columns to the above sheet, change in ranking, and played recently.
- Added names of players to the far right and to the bottom of the above sheet
- Dec 18, 2014
- Fixed a problem with selecting a date from the calendar
- Modified the create a web page to export either the what if results workbook or the chess ranking workbook
so that if a player's name is changed, the old player sheet is removed
- it is created again with the new name when an update is run.
- Added an option to set the minimum default ranking range
- Fixed a message with a double word. Several other minor changes
- Nov, 2014
- Fixes for non US PCs.
- Fixed so that the What If results would work if the site information is left off.
- Add double underlines on rows to better indicate that the row is the player's results
- Added option to insure duplicate player names can not be added
- Improved the matrix of who played who by listing wins and losses
- Improved the set hour and minute spinners for entering new matches
- Oct, 2014 - First release