Our PC and Excel configurations
The following is our primary PC configuration:
- i7 Intel processor (we do have some with i5; we don't notice a significant different)
- Windows 7 with Classic Shell. Classic Shell lets us setup our PC with the classic XP start button and menu which we love.
- Trend Micro Anti-Virus and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware. Trend Micro seems the best on speed if you open and close a lot of files. And both have been top rated over the years.
- 240 GB Samsung SSD Pro drive. We keep both our our systems files and documents on it
- One internal 4TB hard drive for image backups
- One internal 1TB hard drive for incremental daily backups
- Dell 24" 16:10 U2412 anti-glare non-touch screen monitors. We use 16:10 as that is gives more real estate than 16:9 monitors
- Ergonomic keyboards. A bit difficult to learn to use at first, but well worth it.
Other interesting facts:
- Our main machines are not allowed to be written to by other PCs. This is prevent virus infections from other PCs.
- Portable USB use is at an absolute minimum. No visitor USBs are allowed to be brought in and plugged into our main PCs. We have a special machine for such.
- We use a sandboxed web browser for web browsing.
- Browsing in a sandbox is one of the best ways to prevent drive by virus infections.
- For information on what this means and the program we use go to www.sandboxie.com.
- We do a full virus scan daily on a scheduled basis.
- We backup religiously. See our backup approach.
- We have found that Excel 2013-2019 is a perfect match for a machine with multiple monitors
- On machines with just one monitor we strongly prefer Excel 2010. Trying to view two files at the same time in 2013 and above on a single monitor is too painful to imagine
Return to the tips home page